Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Totally Bananas!

What do you do when all your bananas have gone black? Make banana bread, of course!

Let's just say I had lots of black bananas so I decided to try two different recipes from a couple blogs I follow. This isn't just any banana bread either, it's gluten- and grain-free too!

One of my favorite blogs is Against All Grain because there are lots of different recipes for people with specific allergies (dairy, egg, gluten, grain...), not to mention she just came out with a beautiful cookbook entitled Against All Grain by Danielle Walker. 


As I perused the website looking for anything with banana in the title, I came across a recipe for Banana Muffins With Chocolate Chip Streusel Topping - this was one to try. Luckily, since I live a mostly Paleo lifestyle (and if I want to eat Paleo, I pretty much have to cook/bake for myself or educate my husband), I already had most ingredients on hand. 

*If you don't have most ingredients on hand, you can either go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or another store like these where you should be able to find everything, or do what I did and order from Amazon. I like Bob's Red Mill products. Also, it was cheaper and since I'm addicted to Amazon and have one of their cards, I get points to Amazon, so win-win!

The recipe was very easy to follow and very simple to put together. I measured out all of the ingredients first and got the oven preheated. I also mixed what I could as the recipe stated that once the vinegar is mixed with the baking soda, the rising process begins so you don't want it to sit out of the oven for too long after. Once everything was measured, I creamed the oil and sugar, added the eggs (one at a time), added the vinegar, the dry ingredients, and then the bananas. I used my Kitchenaid mixer the whole time even though the recipe says to fold in the bananas. To be honest, I kind of forgot the recipe said to fold in the bananas until after it was all said and done, but it worked out anyway. I quickly scooped the batter into paper cup liners using a large ice cream scoop. I did not put chocolate chips into the muffin mix. I felt like it would be too much for me as I've never liked bananas with chocolate.

I sprinkled the streusel on top and popped the cupcake pan into the oven for 20 minutes!

For the streusel, I didn't use a food processor since I don't own one. I have a Vitamix, but didn't want to clean it, so I just roughly chopped the pecans and chocolate, then mixed the cinnamon and honey into the mixture with my hands. It's a little messy but easier to wash. I did want to try the streusel as it sounded like a fun and yummy twist!

I let the muffins cool once done and tasted...


They are moist, fluffy, sweet but not too sweet, and not too heavy on the banana flavor which I preferred. I think the chocolate chips inside would have been too much for me, but that's the great thing about recipes - you can do what you like! This is definitely a must-save recipe!!! I'll be taking a few to work to give to my friends and see what they think (they don't follow Paleo so I'm curious if they'd love it or not). 

Now, on to the second one (which is actually the first one I made). I found the blog, PaleOMG, from a recommendation made on another blog. This was my first time making a recipe from here (actually 2). For the Banana Bread 3-Ways (Nut Free) recipe, I needed Coconut butter/cream. I didn't even know what that was! I thought I was in a bind, but low and behold, there was a recipe at this blog for it (Thank Goodness!) 

All you pretty much do is blend flaked or shredded coconut until it makes a creamy paste (think almond or peanut butter). I used my Vitamix and it worked wonderfully. All I had was shredded coconut too and had no issues. 

Once made, I put everything together in my Vitamix and spooned it into my 9" round non-stick pan. I went for more of a cake than a loaf. In 40 minutes it was done. I could have baked it a little less, maybe 30-35 minutes, but it was still very moist. I also did not use the toppings. This bread is very dense 
and pretty much highlights the banana. It's good, but you can't eat too much (at least I couldn't). 



Between the two, I prefer the muffins with the streusel. They are lighter, fluffier, and more subtle in flavor. Plus, the topping is a fun, tasty twist on the good 'ole banana bread recipes. 

I was able to use most of my bananas, but I still have a few more...maybe I'll try one more recipe...

**UPDATE: A friend at work tried a muffin and LOVED it! She asked me if I could bring her a couple more...success!!! Also, the next morning, I had a piece of my banana bread again and it grew on me a little more. It's not that I dislike it, I think it just has to do with the dense texture. I think I'm going to try it again at some point and see if I can fluff it up a little. 





No comments:

Post a Comment